PDF Support Program: Rules and Procedures
Eligibility and place of tenure
AARMS postdoctoral fellowships are awarded, on the recommendation of its Scientific Review Panel (SRP), to beginning researchers who received their PhD no more than four years before applying. Applications will be considered from those who anticipate receiving their PhD before the proposed start time of the fellowship, however the PhD must be in hand before actually beginning the fellowship. AARMS will provide $17,500 per year for the fellowship and the supervisor is responsible for organizing matching funds of at least this amount
It is typically expected that the proposed supervisor will not be the same person as the applicant’s PhD supervisor, and that the proposed Postdoctoral Fellowship will be at a different university than the one at which the PhD was awarded. The proposed supervisor must be a full-time tenure track or tenured faculty member at a university in Atlantic Canada.
Normally two years. Funding for the second year is dependent upon satisfactory performance demonstrated in the detailed progress report submitted by the supervisor(s).
Applicants are required to establish a relationship with a prospective supervisor before applying to AARMS, and to have a tentative agreement from that supervisor to make a joint application to this program. This program is not a service for matching applicants with supervisors. All materials submitted as part of your application for a postdoctoral fellowship must also be sent to your proposed supervisor(s).
Applications should be made to our online system. The application should include:
- Research Proposal: a detailed description of the research area and the research to be carried out during the tenure of the fellowship as well as a description of how the candidate would interact with the supervisor(s). Research Proposals should demonstration a plan to contribute to research in the mathematical sciences.
- Letters of reference from two referees
- A letter of reference from each proposed supervisor
The proposed supervisor(s) should include the following materials in the letter:
- A written reference, including a list of the exact sources of matching funding (NSERC or other grant(s), department(s), …); If there are more than one intended supervisors only one needs to submit this financial information.
Referees should be persons who are familiar with the candidate’s work and can comment on their suitability for an AARMS postdoctoral fellowship.
We highly recommend that you complete this application well before the deadline. People you ask to provide letters of reference are usually very busy people and may not be able to respond in time if you give them short notice. Without the required letters of reference your application will not be successful.
Applications will be reviewed by the Scientific Review Panel, who will make a recommendation to the Director.
- November 14 – The system will be open for applications
- December 16 – Application deadline,including letters of reference from referees and proposed supervisors.
- February 3 – Deadline for the assessment phase. Initial offers on Postdoctoral fellowships are made within the next few weeks. The department/university offered an award is requested to provide to AARMS a signed “funding package”, showing the annual contributions by the supervisor(s), the department, and the university. Their amount has at least to match the AARMS contribution of $17,500 and may require that the fellowship holder teach up to one class each term (including spring/summer sessions). If an offer is declined AARMS reserves the right to either offer or to refrain from offering a fellowship to the next candidate in the ranking. If a successful candidate has also been offered an NSERC postdoctoral fellowship it is permitted to accept the AARMS award as well. In this case AARMS will contribute $7,500 per year on top of the NSERC award. No matching fees will be required from the supervisor(s).
- June 30 – Deadline for reports from supervisors of renewing PDFs. The supervisor must submit a detailed progress report, outlining the research work and listing publications, talks, etc. The PDF is also expected to acknowledge the support of AARMS in their publications.
- August 31 – Latest possible termination date for the second year of a PDF.
- September 1 – Start time for the fellowship. AARMS will transfer $8,750 (first half of the annual amount) during the month when the PDF starts his programme, and the same amount six months later. This is done upon receipt of a formal invoice from the hosting department/university. It is acceptable for the start of a fellowship to be delayed up until December 1, but funding will be reduced proportionate to the delay. This reduction will be reconciled in the second year of funding.
Make your application through our online system which will open on November 14. The position will be open until December 16, 2016.