The tenth annual Summer School of the Atlantic Association for Research in the Mathematical Sciences (AARMS) will be held in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics on the Saint John's campus of Memorial University of Newfoundland, from June 2 to June 29, 2011.
The summer school is intended for graduate students and promising undergraduate students from all parts of the world. Each participant is expected to register for two of the courses. Each course consists of five ninety-minute lecture sessions each week. These are graduate courses approved by MUN and we will facilitate transfer credit to the extent possible.
As in the previous Schools, four courses will be offered (more details early in 2011):
- Analysis and Geometry of Partial Differential Equations
(Math 6160 - Partial Differential Equations)
- Instructors: Robert J. McCann (University of Toronto) & Andrea Colesanti (University of Firenze)
- Harmonic Analysis
(Math 6319 - Special Topics in Analysis, Harmonic Analysis)
- Instructor: Yongsheng Han (Auburn University)
- Numerical Solution to Partial Differential Equations
(Math 6210 - Numerical Solution of Differential Equations)
(or Math 6201 - Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations)
- Instructor: Weizhang Huang (University of Kansas)
- Mathematical Biology
(Math 6102 - Special Topics in Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Biology)
- Instructors: Troy Day (Queen's University) & Abba Gumel (University of Manitoba)
For more information about AARMS go to the homepage.
For further information contact
- Dr. Jie Xiao
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Canada A1C 5S7
- Phone: (709) 864-8072
The deadline for applications is April 30. Here is an application form. Please download and complete this textfile and return it by e-mail to Dr. Jie Xiao (address above).
Also, be sure to ask your supervisor, or another professor familiar with your programme, to send Dr. Jie Xiao an email which (a) clearly mentions your name; and (b) comments on your preparation for the two course you have selected.
A list of accepted attendees is posted here.
The timetable in pdf form .
Some useful information, including getting to MUN from St. John's International Airport is given here.
A group photo of the participants is posted here.
And here are photos of the instructors: