- This event has passed.
AARMS Industrial Problem Solving Workshop 2021
July 26, 2021 - August 6, 2021
The Atlantic Association for Research in the Mathematical Sciences (AARMS) will host its third Industrial Problem Solving Workshop (IPSW) in a purely online format from from July 26 to August 6
The main goals of an IPSW are to build connections between researchers in industry, non-profit organizations, and academia. Organizations based in Atlantic Canada and elsewhere present problems related to their interests, and participants will break into teams to explore solutions to these problems. The problems come from a variety of subject areas, but all are designed to be approachable by students and postdocs with backgrounds in pure mathematics, modelling, scientific computing, computer science, or data analysis. Each problem group will be led by one or more university faculty members with expertise relevant to the technical challenge at hand, but participants with a wide range of interests and expertise are welcome. Over the course of the workshop, problem groups will work collaboratively to explore possible solution strategies to the technical challenges and propose longer-term research directions, as well as make connections to a larger group of companies and academic researchers with similar interests.
This year’s IPSW will be a little bit different from previous versions: it is two weeks in duration and convened exclusively online. Problem solving teams are invited to use AARMS video-conferencing resources to schedule their own problem solving sessions during the course of the workshop. It is expected that many people will participate on a part-time basis. We will plan to organize several optional live events during the course of the workshop aimed at networking and career-oriented skills training.
- NBIF Award for best problem solving pitch ($500 shared amongst student/postdoc presenters)
- Springboard Atlantic Award for most valuable student/postdoc problem solver ($500 for one student)
- AARMS Award for best solution ($2000 shared amongst student/postdoc members of the winning team)
- CANSSI Atlantic prize for the most effective use of statistics in problem solving ($200 for one student)
- July 21, 2021: Registration deadline
- July 23, 2021: Prerecorded problem presentations from industry and non-academic partners available online
- July 26, 2021: Live Q&A panel from industrial and non-academic representatives
- July 26-30, 2021: Groups meet online to discuss problem solving strategies
- July 30, 2021: Mid-workshop progress presentations
- August 3-6, 2021: Groups meet online to discuss problem solving strategies
- August 6, 2021: Final presentation of problem solutions