The 2014 AARMS Summer School
Theme: Algebra and Statistics
Time and location: July 21-Aug. 15, 2014, Dalhousie University
School Directors: Dr. Sara Faridi (Dalhousie) and Dr. Hong Gu (Dalhousie)
The summer school is intended for graduate students and promising undergraduate students from all parts of the world. Each participant is expected to register for at least two of the four courses. Each course consists of five ninety-minute lecture sessions each week. These are graduate courses approved by Dalhousie and we will facilitate transfer credit to the extent possible.
- Gröbner Bases in Commutative Algebra Instructor: Dr. Giulio Caviglia , Purdue UniversityPrerequisites: a first year graduate course in rings, ideals and modules, equivalent to Dalhousie’s Math 5045.
- Homological Conjectures in Commutative Algebra Instructor: Dr. Hailong Dao , University of KansasPrerequisites: a first year graduate course in rings, ideals and modules, equivalent to Dalhousie’s Math 5045.
- Statistical Learning with Big DataInstructors: Drs. Hugh Chipman, Acadia University and Xu (Sunny) Wang, St. Francix Xavier UniversityPrerequisites: Students should have background knowledge in introductory statistics, introductory probability, linear algebra and master some basic programming skills. Previous experience with the “R” statistical programming language is an asset but not required. The course will be based on the textbook “Introductory Statistical Learning by James, Witten, Hastie and Tibshirani”.
- Spatial StatisticsInstructor: Dr. Julie Horrocks, University of GuelphPrerequisites: Prerequisites: Students should have a good understanding of basic statistics and linear regression analysis. They should also have some experience with computers and familiarity with statistical computer programs, preferably “R” and/or BUGS.
We are no longer accepting applications to the two algebra courses. To apply for the two statistics courses please fill in our online application form.
List of confirmed students on the algebra courses.
List of confirmed students on the statistics courses.
For further information contact
- Dr. Sara Faridi
- Dr. Hong Gu
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Dalhousie University
- Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Canada B3H 4R2
Click on the thumbnail below to download the full sized photo.